Presented by Cameron Bloch, Certified Personal Trainer
TRX (Total Body Resistance Exercise) is revolutionary workout method that uses your body weight and gravity as resistance to build strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, core and joint stability. So whether you want to build strength, lose fat, improve endurance or flexibility, the TRX Suspension Trainer can be used to achieve any fitness goal. By simply leveraging your body weight to perform hundred of exercises, you get a more effective total body workout, that is easier on the joints and while simultaneously working your core. These basic exercises will provide a foundation that will get you started on your TRX journey!
The following exercises are cued from a standing position facing the anchor point of the straps:
- Hold straps in front of shoulders with arms straight, keeping wrists, elbows and shoulders in alignment
- Keeping straps taut, walk feet in under straps until body is in a plank position
- With palms facing each other, pull body up towards straps by drawing elbows back, keeping them close to ribs
- Extend arms, lowering body away from straps, maintaining plank position
- Repeat 6-10 reps for 2-3 sets
2) CHEST PRESS
- Lengthen rings to hip height and grasp them with palms facing backwards, elbows straight
- Walk legs out away from the anchor point until body is in a plank position, arms straight, straps taut
- With hands slightly outside shoulder width, lower body until elbows are level with shoulders, keeping body straight
- Do not collapse through the shoulder blades
- Press through the palms, moving body back to start position, arms fully extending
- Repeat 6-10 reps for 2-3 sets
3) ASSISTED SQUAT
- Hold rings shoulder height with palms facing each other and feet a little wider than hip width apart
- Squat back and down, keeping the straps taught, until hips are in line with knees
- Push through the heels bringing hips up and forward to beginning position, arms straight
- Repeat 10-12 reps for 2-3 sets
4) ASSISTED LUNGE
- Hold rings chest height with arms at a right angle and palms facing toward each other.
- Lunge one foot backward, keeping front knee over ankle and dropping back knee into deep flexion
- Extend elbows away from chest on the lowering
- Push through front heel and step forward, bringing body back to starting position, extending arms out with straps taut
- Repeat other side
- Repeat 10 reps for 2-3 sets
5) BICEP CURL
- Hold rings with arms straight, palms facing up, at shoulder height
- Walk feet in under rings, leaning upper body back slightly with straps tight, arms straight
- Curl hands in towards shoulders keeping elbows aligned with shoulders, bringing body forward, maintaining plank position.
- No not move the elbows from their position in front of the shoulders
- Slowly extend arms lowering body back to its original position, maintaining plank position
- Repeat 8-12 reps for 2-3 sets
6) TRICEP EXTENSION
- Holding the TRX handles in each hand, turn yourself to face away from the anchor point. Position your hands overhead with a 90 degree bend in your elbows, and elbows pointing forward with neutral wrists. Stiffen your torso by contracting your core/abdominal muscles
- Exhale and slowly straighten your elbows by pressing your body away from your arms. Your upper arms should not move, your elbows should continue to point forward (away from your body) and your wrists should remain in the neutral position
- Downward Phase: While maintaining a stable torso, inhale and slowly lower your body back towards your starting position.
- Perform 10 reps for 2-3 sets
7) Y-DELTOID FLY
- Start facing the suspension trainer and take a handle in each hand.
- Place your feet forward, so you have a slight lean away from the suspension trainer, supporting your bodyweight. Slowly straighten your arms out in front of you.
- Take a deep breath in, then as you breathe out, pull yourself forwards and upwards with your arms going above your head at about a 45 degree angle from your body, into a ‘Y’ shape.
- Breathing in, slowly lower yourself back to the start position.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for 10 reps for 2-3 sets
8) MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
- Hang the TRX straps so that they are about 6 inches off the floor
- Place your feet in the stirrups so that the tops of your feet are facing towards the floor
- Place your hands on the ground and make your body into a straight line
- Bring your right knee towards your chest
- As you bring your right knee back out bring your left knee in
- Alternate back and forth for the desired amount of repetitions
- Perform 10-12 reps of 2-3 sets
If you would like to be matched up with the right Personal Trainer for your goals, please contact our Fitness Manager at Travis.Mcroberts@activewellness.com